Sunday, August 22, 2010

Where Have I been?

Hello world, where have I been?
Who knows!

Today, is my 16th birthday!  Many times I didn't think I'd actually get to my 16th birthday. 
But again, optimism and perseverance triumphs! 
School starts in about 3 weeks, I already have some supplies... Blah!
I'm having a meeting with my teachers before school-I think- about my 504 plan and this coming year so that will be good.

I've been doing some reflection about life today.  It's interesting to see that we really don't know what's going to happen in the future, nor can we do jack squat to control it.
My mother stated, "We all think that our kids are perfect."
Far from it.  Life is not about perfection, nor is it about being the best you can be.
It's about trying.
Yes, you should try to succeed.  Yes, you should try to do the best you can, but you should with the abilities you have.  If a person has a disability, such as Down syndrome, that person should not be compaired to a person with out a disability.  You shouldn't say,"well, he'll never....(continue)" you should look at it as "well he'll do this and this and this."
Positive, not negative, thoughts are the most important.  See a person for the greatness they have, not for a difference.
If you really think about it, everyone in the world has something "different" or a challenge in their lives: from asthma to visual impairments and on and on. 
It's fascinating for me to see the "normalcy" in the world.  The "average kid" or "average teen," we live our lives based off of the lives of others and off of stories, TV shows, the internet, etc.  It's based off the idea of what society declares to be the "normal life," yet, we only live one life.  We only know of our own lives, our own challenges, our abilities, talents, skills, and difficulties.  How can there be a "normal" person among us?

From,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment